Sunday, July 17, 2011

Car show season


I'd say about half of people who bring cars to car shows like to open the hood and trunk. This was just the case with this one. If you at a car show and you have an idea that requires the hood or door to be closed, or perhaps for someone to move, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK!!! You may very well be giving up a chance to take an awesome photo! Being a photographer means sometimes stepping outside your comfort zone. I asked the owner of this corvette if he would close the hood so I could take a photo. I also told him I'd be more than happy to e-mail him some copies. Car guys love pictures of their cars. I've yet to be turned down when free photos for them are on the table. Who knows, maybe they'll want to buy actual prints.


Same thing here as with the one above. The owner, Terry, had the hood and trunk open. I asked if he'd close them and he was more than happy to do so.



There are a ton of little details here and there on cars. I could easily have spent an entire day shooting this one, especially if it were a paid gig. Car guys generally pay great attention to detail and would expect nothing less of the photos of their creations or restorations. This photo focuses on the blue jewel taillight.


I absolutely love these types of cars, T-buckets, Roadsters, rat rod, whatever you want to call 'em. I'm all about the small amount of body and huge amount of engine and the overall mechanical look.


This one would definitely qualify for the "rat rod" title. Rusted body on a rusted frame. Lime green painted wheels, oh yes, every aspect fit the bill. Still looked awesome.


I was actually working overnight security at the Iola car show when I shot this one. My partner and I had gone back to our vehicles to throw on some bug spray when I saw this image waiting to be captured. The semi in the background, Big Red, the largest in the world (I think) was playing a movie and the all the other pieces fell into place fairly nicely. While I was waiting for my partner to finish I set up the camera and took a couple shots.


Iola car show again, but this time before I started working. When I was shooting this it started to down pour; very little warning. Had I been outside I'm not sure I would have had time to cover up my camera. This T Bucket was under a large white tent. Lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment